Life Is A Highway
Solo Exhibition with Mary Banas at Colpa Books & Video, San Francisco, CA
November 29, 2018
Life is a Highway is an evolving suite of printed ephemera: physical evidence for the thoughts and conversations we are and aren’t having in America. This work appropriates vernacular graphic forms to prompt discussion and reflection and bears witness to the unrest and anxiety of modern life. It speaks to the idea of “freedom” and the metaphorical open road—that we must keep rolling, moving, and progressing, as individuals, as a community, and as a country. Life is a Highway.
15 pieces printed in an infinite edition (purchase for $100.50 at Colpa):
- Symbols of America, split-fountain screenprint, 11" x 17"
- Little White Lies, screenprint booklet, 2.75" x 4.25"
- Trying to Let Go/Trying to Hang On, pinback button, 2.5"
- Someday, screenprint on blue satin ribbon, 2" wide
- Be Empty, folded risograph, 11" x 17" (flat)
- My Third Eye is a Black Hole & Don't Try to Buy Milk at the Hardware Store, screenprint diptych, 8.5" x 11"
- Are You Ever, Like, Tryin' to Let Go?, hot orange crack-n-peel quick fade sticker, 4.25" x 5.5"
- Grin and Ignore It (Gareld), vinyl sticker, not quite 4"
- IT's What We DO!, risograph 11" x 17"
- Stuff We're Not Talking About That We Should Be Talking About, tabbed flier risograph, 11" x 17"
- My Basement, Your Basement, laser, 6" x 4"
- Friends In Really Low Places, laser on cloud paper, 4.25" x 5.5"
- Lean Into The Void, tiny flag
- Existential Crisis is My Co-Pilot, screenprint bumper sticker, 11.5" x 3"
Drawing of Gareld by Mac Akin
Gif by Colpa : )